Pathetic.org was born as a poetry circle at California State University, Fullerton, in 1991. Known then as the Pathetic Poets Society, the group took its name as an attempt to poke fun at the fact that many poets are self-deprecating. The group's existence waned over time until its rebirth on the Internet in June 1997.
Our online poetry circle has grown and changed over this time, but the purpose remains the same: to promote the works of our members, and to provide a forum for the exchange of poetry and prose. Now our organization has grown to include writers of a broader range, from poets to essayists, from lyricists to short story writers. If you like to write, and you want feedback and interaction from others, Pathetic.org is the place for you.
Pathetic.org is a work in progress. Always. As an organization, we strive to attract greater attention and bring culture to our society at a time when culture seems to be the last on the minds of many. As a forum, we allow feedback and interaction among members who have a similar interest in writing. Members can post their own works and maintain their own selection list. Best of all, membership is free.
Pathetic.org Requirements & Design Specs
Although Pathetic.org is a publicly accessible Internet site, it is designed to a certain level of technology and browser support. While Pathetic.org should display in almost any browser, your experience will most match the intended experience if your computer meets the following specifications:
If you are having problems browsing, logging into, or using Pathetic.org and your computer does not meet these requirements, we apologize.
- Current mainstream browser (Mozilla 1.x or higher, Netscape 7.x or higher, or Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher)
- Screen resolution of 800x600 or greater
- Java and Java Script enabled
- Cookies enabled
Internet appliances such as WebTV or NetPliance are not supported.
- Members: 609
- Average Account Age: 6 years
- Poems: 68,694
- Poems have been read: 53,133,447 times
- Categorized Poems: 142,589
- Poem Categories: 74
- Poem Folders: 3,729
- Chapbook PDF Folders: 10
- Poem Comments: 259,794
- Journal Entries: 9,075
- Journal Comments: 9,646
- Forum Messages: 93,627
- Theme Selection:
Lines of Code: 10272
The Technology Behind Pathetic.org
- 144 users use the Standard Theme
- 81 users use the Black Friday Theme
- 72 users use the Space Theme
- 55 users use the New Black Theme
- 45 users use the New Silver Theme
- 40 users use the New Purple Theme
- 28 users use the New Blue Theme
- 26 users use the Miami Nights Theme
- 24 users use the New Green Theme
- 21 users use the Stars and Stripes Theme
- 18 users use the Autumn Quilt Theme
- 17 users use the Classic Blue Theme
- 13 users use the Red Suede Theme
- 11 users use the Classic Green Theme
- 6 users use the Union Jack Theme
- 3 users use the Classic Orange Theme
- 3 users use the Classic Pink Theme
- 2 users use the Holidays Theme
- Click here for our servers technical specifications
- Our server runs Gentoo Linux Version 1.4 as the Operating System.
- All of the programs on this site were written by Gavin M. Roy. All the programming is done in PHP, which is a server-side, run-time interpreted programming language similar to C, C++, and Perl.
- All the information is stored in a relational database system called PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL is a sophisticated Object-Relational DBMS, supporting almost all SQL constructs, including subselects, transactions, and user-defined types and functions. It is the most advanced open-source database available anywhere.
This software is deprecated and you should check out the current developments on the next generation site engine "Framewerk."